The camp site is a natural wooded area and is ideal for outdoor activities, backwoods shelters, cooking on wood fires – in fact, ideal for Scouting and Guiding.
However, we have renewed the buildings and the refurbished site was formally opened on 22 May 2011.
It is hoped that, should you choose to camp at Craggan, you will have an enjoyable time, and that the weather will be kind. The following information may be of help!
Craggan is a large, sheltered campsite located in a remote glen lying between the Braco – Comrie road (B827) and the Muthill – Crieff road (A822). Coming from Muthill, the camp site is just over the crest after passing the road to Dunruchan Farm on the left side of the road.
- There is a hard surface (now grass covered) car park just inside the gate for cars and light vans only. Not suitable for busses or heavy lorries)
- There are three huts on site: a small storage hut, a kitchen/night toilet hut (5m x 3m) containing a Calor gas cookers and plenty of cooking utensils, and a large hut (10m x 5m) for storage and wet weather shelter. Equipment is available by arrangement for 4 patrols and their leaders, or for 36 people Group camping. Extra equipment may be brought if required, as the site is large enough for 50+ campers. 12 volt electric lighting is supplied in the kitchen and large huts, but if additional lighting is required it must be battery powered as no flame lights are permitted in any of the huts. A gas fridge-freezer may be available on request.
- There are two water taps providing drinking water on site, with filters in the water supply line to remove solid articles. The water is also passed through an Ultra Violet system and is therefore safe to drink without further treatment.
- There is more than adequate dead wood lying around on the fringes of the site and in the adjoining wood.
- These are chemical toilets. Elsan fluid is provided. There is a wooden toilet block to house four of these. There is a water tap beside the block for recharging the toilets.
- The charge for the site is £2.50 per person per night payable on collection of the keys. (Charges are subject to review annually).
- There is a small village shop for groceries etc. in Muthill, and larger supermarkets in Crieff. Milk cannot be delivered to the site, but D&D Dairies, Brioch Road, Crieff (01764 654271) will take orders and arrange a suitable collection point. Tesco and Asda do deliveries to the site.
This is available in Muthill.
- Includes hill walking (to be pre-arranged with the Estate); swimming available in Crieff and at Crieff Hydro (by arrangement); pony trekking at Crieff Hydro; visits to Auchingarroch Wildlife Centre, which is only a few miles along the road.
More information can be found in the Craggan Information Pack